- 1 Password entry causes double-entering of characters
- 2 Invalid Username or Password
- 3 Hangs on login or on Autologin activated!
- 4 Nasomi website opens when you try to log in
- 5 Sending Key.. Closing.. or Hairpin Fix applied! Closing.. and nothing happens
- 6 Launcher closes quickly when opened
- 7 Failed to initialize instance of polcore or ffxi
- 8 MSVCP140.dll is missing
- 9 api-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll is missing
- 10 The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable OR a Windows Installer popup occurs
- 11 pol.exe or boot.exe crashes when launching the game
- 12 boot.exe crashes when logging into a character
- 13 boot.exe crashes when creating a character
- 14 Stuck Downloading data...
- 15 Failed to launch boot file
- 16 Stuck Checking name and gold world pass then error FFXI-3113
- 17 FFXI Error Codes
- 18 FFXI Client Problems
- 19 Performance Issues
- 20 Gamepad controls not working after following website instructions
- 21 Crash with no error message when entering Woodworking guild
- 22 In-game issues
- 22.1 Out of bounds stuck in a battlefield etc.
- 22.2 Stuck Online
- 22.3 Stuck looking at a cutscene
- 22.4 Homepointing not working
- 22.5 I am dead and HP shows above 0 or you got killed with nothing in the log
- 22.6 Not dead but HP and MP and TP etc. are 0
- 22.7 Cannot pick up new conquest supplies
- 22.8 You do not meet the requirements to obtain x item
- 22.9 Cannot plant seeds in gardening pots
- 22.10 Cannot dig while on chocobo
- 22.11 EXP ring not working
- 22.12 Cannot list more on the AH
- 22.13 Not removing the right item from the AH
- 22.14 Cannot send items through the Delivery Box
- 22.15 Weapon Skill is capped at an earlier level
- 22.16 Used a scroll but did not learn the spell
- 22.17 Unsynced but do not have all my spells and abilities
- 22.18 I lost items by removing storage space with items in them
- 22.19 I lost my lure by canceling fishing
- 22.20 I cannot use my BCNM orb after canceling entry the first time
- 22.21 Asking for Recipes from a crafting NPC freezes the game
- 22.22 NM is not spawning
- 22.23 Did not receive Lu Shang's or Walahra Turban
- 22.24 Quests/Missions
- 22.24.1 Waited x amount of time but quest did not progress
- 22.24.2 House of the Hero doesn't progress Windurst mission Lost for Words
- 22.24.3 Can't progress As Thick as Thieves after losing a roll
- 22.24.4 Ailbeche does not accept the Odontotyrannus during A Boy's Dream
- 22.24.5 When unlocking Dragoon the name of your Wyvern is not the one that you select
- 22.24.6 A Craftsman's Work receiving no key item after defeating the NM
- 22.24.7 The Rumor with Novalmauge in Bostaunieux Oubliette is not working.
- 22.24.8 Divine Might Not receiving earring, despite following the correct quest path.
- 22.24.9 Stuck on black screen during the SMN quest
- 22.24.10 Food for Thought not completing
- 22.24.11 Rescue Drill will not advance
- 22.25 Plugins and Addons
- 22.26 Crafting
Password entry causes double-entering of characters
- Cause: A recent windows update.
- Fix: Open the Nasomi launcher. Right click the configuration you want to launch. Click edit. In the "Command" box, add --user yourusername --pass yourpassword. Do not delete anything from the Command box if it isn't empty!!! If you don't understand, here's a gif. If it asks you for your username/password afterwards, this means that the username/password you entered into --user or --pass is incorrect
Invalid Username or Password
Read the section above "Password entry causes double-entering of characters" first.
- Fix: Login at the account page and click on "Reset" for the account you can't log into. Change the password. Then, you should be able to log in using the new password. Game account Additionally, usernames are case sensitive, do not contain spaces (use the first word only if it does), and passwords can only be up to 16 characters in length.
- A bug that has since been fixed (on Sept 14 2018) with the account system may require you to change your password before you are able to log in again.
Hangs on login or on Autologin activated!
- Cause: You are a returning player but your game account is not bound to your forum account.
- Fix: See details here.
Nasomi website opens when you try to log in
- Cause: You logged into the game using a forum/nasomi account.
- Fix: Create a game account on the page it brings you to (the account page)
Sending Key.. Closing.. or Hairpin Fix applied! Closing.. and nothing happens
- Cause: The installation didn't do everything it was supposed to do.
- Fix: Run the installer again. It should not be instant. It should take ~15 min.
- Cause: You installed retail.
- Fix: Running both retail and nasomi at the same time doesn't work. You need to re-register the proper DLLs to launch the correct version. Run the nasomiDLL.bat file before launching nasomi, and the retailDLL.bat before launching retail. This assumes you had working installs of nasomi or retail already.
- Cause: The game is not installed, or you moved your game files.
- Fix: Game files should not be moved from their installed location.
- Cause: The resolution or window type you're launching isn't supported by your graphics card.
- Fix: Launch the Nasomi/FFXI config. Try setting it to windowed fullscreen instead of fullscreen, or reduce the resolutions in the Screen Size tab. Ideally, your Background, Window, and Menu sizes should match.
- Fix: Sometimes, the FFXI config is broken and will freeze any time you look at the screen size tab. If this happens, you can still edit your resolutions by modifying the registry keys by launching regedit, and then navigating to (32-bit) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlayNasomiUS\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXI or (64-bit) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\PlayNasomiUS\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXI. Keys 0001 and 0002 are your window width and height; 0003 and 0004 are your background width and height; and 0037 and 0038 are your menu width and height.
- NEVER USE FILE REPAIR: this was a potential solution when we still used the old install method. NEVER use the file repair feature in playonline!
Launcher closes quickly when opened
- Cause: ashita.exe or other files have been moved or deleted by you or your antivirus.
- Fix: Recover the files, potentially in your antivirus program.
- Fix: If you've lost too many files, and your antivirus hasn't been deleting them, re-install the game.
Failed to initialize instance of polcore or ffxi
- Cause: DLL registration failed.
- Fix: This can happen if you're trying to run both Nasomi and Retail at the same time, but then uninstall Retail. Run the Nasomi installer again to re-register the DLLs.
MSVCP140.dll is missing
- Cause: Components of Microsoft Visual C++ redist are missing
- Fix: Go here to obtain the 2015 for x86 version;REGARDLESS of what version of Windows you're using, you need this one. This installs during the installation, normally.
api-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll is missing
- Cause: Components of Microsoft Visual C++ are out of date
- Fix: Perform a Windows Update after installing the C++ redist packages.
- Cause: A lingering broken POL install typically causes this.
- Fix: Uninstall Playonline. You may need to run the NasomiXI installer again afterwards.
pol.exe or boot.exe crashes when launching the game
- Cause: For some setups, the Ashita Direct3d8 to Direct3d9 proxy causes a crash
- Fix: Delete the files d3d8.dll and d3d8.ini if you installed them from your Ashita\ffxi-bootmod folder.
- Possible Fix: Don't enable the shadow flickering fix in the d3d8.ini as this can cause crashes.
- Cause: Roxio gamecap software hooks into boot.exe and causes a crash. Event viewer blames the dsfOggDemix2.dll for the crash.
- Fix: Uninstall Roxio software. It is either buggy or incompatible with FFXI.
- Cause: Fast vsync on nVidia cards will crash FFXI.
- Fix: Go to Nvidia Control Panel, under Manage 3D settings, scroll down to vsync and switch vsync to either on or off, disabling fast sync.
boot.exe crashes when logging into a character
- Cause: Corrupt user folder.
- Fix: Go to ..NasomiXI\SquareEnix\Final Fantasy XI\USER\ folder and delete the folders inside. Warning: This will erase all of your macros and in-game settings.
boot.exe crashes when creating a character
- Cause: For some setups, the character creation screen causes a crash. This is usually related to the Ashita Direct3d8 to Direct3d9 proxy, but there is a workaround that allows you to continue using the proxy.
- Fix: Launch the FFXI config. Enable "Simplified Character Creation".
Stuck Downloading data...
- Cause: Network communication issue
- Fix: Try restarting your network adapter or router, or both.
- Cause: Your character is still logged in.
- Fix: Visit the character portal and see if you're still online. The online status will only refresh if you log out and back in again. Trying to log on while the server thinks you are disconnecting will cause the disconnect timer to reset, causing you to wait several minutes again. Please be patient while waiting for your character to disconnect.
- Fix: If the clear session tool isn't working, try getting to the terms of service screen and declining, then waiting a few minutes and logging in again.
- Cause: Rarely, improper shutdown of the client can corrupt some files being written to in the USER directory (macros, in-game configuration settings, and so on). If this happens, the resulting symptom will be a long black screen "Downloading Data..." followed by a crash.
- Fix: Try making a backup of ..NasomiXI\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\USER\ and then deleting the USER folder (or individual files within the USER folder to determine the exact ones that have been corrupted).
Failed to launch boot file
- Cause: The boot.exe file used to log into the game is missing. This might mean it was detected as a virus by your anti-virus. This is a false positive.
- Fix: Restore the file through your anti-virus.
Stuck Checking name and gold world pass then error FFXI-3113
- Cause: Your character name is already taken on the server
- Fix: Re-launch the game. Use a new name. You must relaunch the game if you get stuck on this error. ANY subsequent attempts to use ANY name will get stuck at this point until you re-launch the game.
- Cause: You took to long creating your character.
- Fix: Re-launch the game and re-create it. Now that you know what to do, it should be quick.
FFXI Error Codes
FFXI-3101 OR 3001
- Try restarting your network adapter or router.
- If this happens during character creation, it's because you can only have 1 character per game account.
- The server or port is blocked on your networking. If you're tethering using your phone's internet, your mobile data provider may block the ports used by Nasomi. If you're on a work network, they may do the same thing. You may have even inadvertently blocked these yourself.
- Wait 2-5 min continued login after this error could get you error 3001. Trying before you have been disconnected from the server resets this timer.
- Your character is still connected according to the server.
- Wait about 2 - 5 mins and try again. Trying before you have been disconnected from the server resets this timer.
FFXI-3322 (in Japanese)
- The name you're using is invalid.
- It's probably just too long. Use a shorter name, with a maximum of 13 letters.
- You must relaunch the game if you get stuck on this error. ANY subsequent attempts to use ANY name will get stuck at this point until you re-launch the game.
- Restart your network adapter and try connecting again.
- Go to your network connections and right click the one your using, and try "repair".
- Try power cycling your modem, this can clear on connection issues as well.
- Try turning off your VPN if you use one, changing the server on your VPN, or otherwise use a different internet connection altogether.
FFXI Client Problems
FFXI config freezes on the screen size tab
- Cause: This is an issue relating to the Intel GMA 950 graphics chipset.
- Fix: Ashita will override the settings on the screen size page anyway (unless using -1 in ashita), but if you can't use ashita to launch the game (such as on XP), you can still edit your resolutions by modifying the registry keys by launching regedit, and then navigating to (32-bit) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlayNasomiUS\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXI or (64-bit) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\PlayNasomiUS\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXI. Keys 0001 and 0002 are your window width and height; 0003 and 0004 are your background width and height; and 0037 and 0038 are your menu width and height.
Launching two clients, or Game frozen, can hear sounds and move, but your screen stays still
- Cause: User Account Control (UAC) is a Windows feature that helps prevent programs from running without your consent, but the manner in which it darkens the screen will induce the ffxi renderer to completely crash.
- Fix: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control settings > change the slider down to "do not dim my desktop", or "Never Notify".
One of the game clients crashes after playing for some time
- Cause: Sometimes, windows gets confused and tries to do something it shouldn't, and it crashes a client.
- Fix: Run both clients as admin. This should prevent it from crashing when it does something it shouldn't do.
UI cut off or scaling issues
- If using a display DPI that isn't 100% (the default for W10 on 1080p is not 100%!!!!) Navigate to ..NasomiXI\SquareEnix\Ashita and right click "Ashita.exe", select "Properties". Under the compatibility tab, check the "Override high DPI scaling behavior." box and set "Scaling performed by: " to "Application".
- Window Size is the size of the game on your screen. For a "Fullscreen" effect, match this to your monitor's resolution.
- Startup Position will allow you to send the window around your screen e.g. to a secondary monitor.
- Background Size is the render resolution. Matching your Background and Window size renders the game internally at the same size that it is displayed. Increasing this essentially provides supersampling.
- Menu Size in most situations should be set this equal to your window size. Menu size represents the UI scale. A menu size half of your window size will give 200% UI scaling, for example. Your menu aspect ratio must match your window aspect ratio.
- Alternative: You may put values of -1 in the Window tab sections of Ashita which tells the game to look to the Final Fantasy Config for what values to use. Then apply the above principles to your resolution settings in that official utility.
- Border: Don't enable it. It sucks. It breaks things. If you do enable it, you need to compensate for it's size with the above settings.
FPS capped at 30
- FFXI is capped at 29.97 fps (NTSC) which can be doubled to 59.94 by using the framerate divisor command in Ashita: /fps 1. However, having your fps capped at 59.94 may cause continuity issues with quests due to cutscenes not executing or completing properly. Please use this "60 fps" setting at your own risk.
Persistent low FPS
- Cause: FFXI is not running on your dedicated graphics card. This happens when you are on a laptop that has both an integrated and dedicated GPU. This will not improve your FPS unless you are running such a setup, and FFXI may not even launch when using this file.
- Fix: Download this zipped file: here, extract it (by using something like 7zip) and place the files into your ..NasomiXI\SquareEnix\Ashita\ffxi-bootmod folder (or whatever drive you installed to).
- Fix: If the d3d8to9 proxy doesn't work, try using this version of dgVoodoo specific for FFXI: download link. Unzip dgVoodooWIP35.zip to ..NasomiXI\SquareEnix\Ashita\ffxi-bootmod and run dgVoodooCpl.exe configure it to your liking. Then, run the game.
- Nagivate to ..NasomiXI/SquareEnix/FINAL FANTASY XI/ToolsUS/ and launch FFXiPadConfig.exe as admin. Disable the gamepad in this window, then re-launch the game. The reason this fixes stuttering is because FFXI constantly looks for a controller if the setting is enabled but there isn't one plugged in. Plugging one in would fix it, too.
Gamepad controls not working after following website instructions
- Follow the instructions here. When NasomiXI is installed, the shortcut is on the desktop. If not, check your start menu. Website instructions appear to be outdated, or some users need to set up here instead (or as well?).
- If all controls are working except for dpad after configuring controls, switch off the box in FFXI Gamepad Config Tool that is labeled "Enable hat switches" and reconfigure dpad controls.
Crash with no error message when entering Woodworking guild
- Cause: A file that's part of the HD texture pack you installed is corrupt.
- Fix: Instead of removing the HD texture pack entirely, you can replace the one corrupt file with a normal game file. The target file is located at ..NasomiXI\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\ROM\1\121.DAT. You can download a normal version of this file here. Place this file into your ..NasomiXI\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\ROM\1 folder.
This is not necessarily a list of bugs. This is a list of common problems, some of which are caused by bugs.
Out of bounds stuck in a battlefield etc.
- Go to the account page and log in. Select "Maintenance", then "Unstuck". All use of this system is logged and abuse is not tolerated.
- Open the game but click Decline on the TOS screen. Then, try logging in again like normal.
- Or, go to the account page and log in. Select "Maintenance", then "Clear Session". All use of this system is logged and abuse is not tolerated.
Stuck looking at a cutscene
- Press printscreen. Yes, this takes a screenshot, but it also continues stuck cutscenes.
Homepointing not working
- Wait 5 seconds before homepointing. This is a workaround for a much worse bug.
I am dead and HP shows above 0 or you got killed with nothing in the log
- The server sometimes avoids sending the packet containing that last hit to prevent a much worse bug that automatically sends you to your homepoint when dying. You were hit by some sort of an attack, you just didn't get the message in the log or animation of it.
Not dead but HP and MP and TP etc. are 0
- Join or start a party. If that doesn't work, try zoning to another area.
Cannot pick up new conquest supplies
- The conquest tally takes place midnight Sat night, but the supplies (as well as event items like exp rings) reset 24hrs later, midnight Sun night. This means you need to wait until Monday to hand in your now-useless supplies and pick up new ones.
You do not meet the requirements to obtain x item
- You either already have one of the rare item in one of your bags or your inventory is full.
Cannot plant seeds in gardening pots
- Gardening is not yet implemented.
- If you are looking to get elemental ore, you can do Excavation in Attohwa Chasm, Maze of Shakhrami, and probably other areas to obtain them.
Cannot dig while on chocobo
- Chocobo digging is not yet implemented.
EXP ring not working
- Occasionally there will be a bonus EXP weekend, during which the rings are enabled. EXP Rings are not enabled under normal circumstances. Only the Emperor and Empress bands are enabled during the events.
- Even though conquest resets midnight Sat night, you cannot recharge an EXP ring immediately after the conquest tally. Recharging an EXP ring requires waiting until midnight Sun night.
Cannot list more on the AH
- Even though you can list as many items as you'd like on the Auction House, if you have 7+ listed when you check your Sales Status, you will be unable to list more items. To fix this, simply zone or relog.
- You can view all the items you've listed by logging into your account here.
Not removing the right item from the AH
- When you remove items you've placed on the Auction House through the Sales Status window, if you remove more than one at a time you will not be removing the item you think you are. To prevent this from happening, close the Sales Status window every time you remove an item.
- If you remove items starting from the bottom-up, you will get back the item you have selected.
Cannot send items through the Delivery Box
- The delivery box's functionality for sending items is currently disabled.
Weapon Skill is capped at an earlier level
- Re-equipping the weapon will refresh the skill cap list both on the client and server, allowing you to skill up again.
Used a scroll but did not learn the spell
- If you zone too quickly you don't learn it. There is 2 parts to learning a spell - using the scroll, then after all the animation is over, you learn it. Nasomi does not refund scrolls lost in this way.
Unsynced but do not have all my spells and abilities
- You can refresh your spell/ability list by equipping any piece of gear. This is useful for when your party is in trouble, you unsync, and want to use higher level spells.
I lost items by removing storage space with items in them
- You can get your items back by placing furniture back into your moghouse layout. Log off and the items should appear. If you lost 20 items need to get 20 spaces.
I lost my lure by canceling fishing
- Canceling fishing consumes your bait. This is an anti-bot mechanic. Take care not to accidentally move or click on your client window while fishing!
- If you are someone who uses multiple monitors, the command /blockmouse can be very useful while fishing to help prevent this from happening. It makes it so clicking on the game only makes the game the active window and won't cancel your cast. Simply use the command again if you want to use your mouse.
I cannot use my BCNM orb after canceling entry the first time
- Canceling BCNM entry consumes your orb. This is an anti-exploit mechanic. Trade it only when you are ready to enter!
Asking for Recipes from a crafting NPC freezes the game
- Close the game to get unfrozen. This is an option that was added in modern FFXI and is not implemented here. There is no dummy code to end the event after selecting the option, either.
NM is not spawning
- Did you check to see if the NM in question is out of era? For example, Duke Decapod was introduced in 2009 which means it will not spawn here.
- Some in-era NMs don't spawn. You can check this by checking the AH history for their drop, if it's not Exclusive. If their drop has never been sold, it likely doesn't spawn. If the drop is exclusive and it's in era but you're having trouble finding it, ask around.
Did not receive Lu Shang's or Walahra Turban
- Trade 1 more carp/coin.
- You cannot become a mentor by signing up at the AMAN.
- Mentors are NOT GMs. They have no special powers whatsoever, besides being listed on the Mentor finder.
- If you wish to become a mentor, trade 100k gil to Zelma at (H-8) in Upper Jeuno.
Waited x amount of time but quest did not progress
- The FFXI wiki is for modern FFXI. Almost all quests that required waiting long amounts of time were changed in modern FFXI to speed up gameplay. If it says wait 1 earth minute, that probably means at least 1 earth hour here, if not a midnight cycle. When a quest says to wait until JP midnight, here it means EST midnight.
- You can check the history of a FFXI wiki page to see how long it took in ~2006.
House of the Hero doesn't progress Windurst mission Lost for Words
- Go back to the Mahogany door in Inner Horutoto Ruins. Interact with the door until you stop getting the cutscene. Once the Mahogany door no longer triggers a cutscene, you have received credit for the mission and can progress to the House of the Hero.
Can't progress As Thick as Thieves after losing a roll
- You must win all 3 rolls in a row to complete the gambling portion of this quest.
Ailbeche does not accept the Odontotyrannus during A Boy's Dream
- You can't skip trading the shell bug. You need to drop the Odontotyrannus, trade the shell bug, and then fish up the Odontotyrannus again.
When unlocking Dragoon the name of your Wyvern is not the one that you select
- The name selection is offset by 1. Choose the name BELOW your desired name.
- Alternatively, If you want to change your Wyvern's name, speak to Fouvia near the Norg Auction House. For 9,800 gil, she will change the name and give you access to the other three lists. This list is accurate; you do not need to offset by one through Fouvia.
A Craftsman's Work receiving no key item after defeating the NM
- The DRG needs to get the killing blow on the Decurio NM that spawns when you click the ??? in order to receive the key item by clicking the ??? again afterwards.
The Rumor with Novalmauge in Bostaunieux Oubliette is not working.
- He asks for beastman blood. Not beast blood.
Divine Might Not receiving earring, despite following the correct quest path.
- Make sure that you're properly on the quest (interact with the quest target in the Shrine), then repeat the fight.
Stuck on black screen during the SMN quest
- If on chocobo, the cutscenes for each color do not play. Instead, you get stuck on a black screen. You still get credit. Qufim does not give credit for any color.
Food for Thought not completing
- Trade another Grilled Hare to Kerutoto to complete the quest.
Rescue Drill will not advance
- Make sure you talk to everyone required. The optional dialogue referred to in the 2018 version of the FFXI wiki is not optional in 2006.
- If you've talked to everyone, were you able to talk to the one in the ditch at (F-7)? If not, you may be on the wrong game version. Type /ver in game. 30170329_0 is the correct version. You can get onto this version by using the nasomi installer.
Plugins and Addons
Chat log is being spammed with a failed to call event render error
- Disable your fps plugin. Type /addon unload fps. If it gives you issues every time you launch the game, navigate to ..NasomiXI\SquareEnix\Ashita\Scripts\Default.txt and remove the /addon load fps line.
- By default, the recast addon isn't loaded even though it is included with the install. Type /addon load recast to load the recast addon. To load it automatically every time the game is launched, navigate to ..NasomiXI\SquareEnix\Ashita\Scripts\Default.txt and add /addon load recast to the bottom. Default.txt is ran every time the game is launched.
- One of the Minnow recipes (Fire Crystal + Copper Ingot + Glass Fiber) does not work. Use the other recipe (Fire Crystal + Brass Ingot + Glass Fiber) instead.