This guide is aimed towards players completely new to FFXI, with some Nasomi specific things packaged in. If you've played FFXI before, you may be more interested in this list of Nasomi Specific differences, but taking a quick read of this may help you catch up if it's been a while.
Before Logging In
It is highly suggested that you configure your launcher to the settings you would like before playing.
1. Double click your Launcher.bat on your desktop (or navigate to C:\NasomiXI\SquareEnix\Ashita and open Ashita directly) to open the Ashita launcher. Ashita is a program that allows you to connect to a FFXI private server, as well as use some plugins and addons. Using unauthorized plugins, however, is against the rules here at Nasomi. This is because everyone is meant to be on an equal playing field, and many plugins allow for access to game breaking stuff. All authorized plugins are already installed by default.
2. Right click on any of the configurations and select "Edit configuration".
3. On the left-hand side of Ashita, select "Window".
4. For a windowed fullscreen experience, set your Window Resolution to be equal to your monitor's resolution. For now, your Menu and Background Resolution should be set to be equal to your Window Resolution. If you run into any problems like the menu being cut off etc, visit the Troubleshooting page. If you tried everything on the Troubleshooting page and it didn't help, come visit us in Naschat.
5. Click the "Save Configuration" button at the bottom of your Ashita window.
6. Double click the same configuration we just edited and it will open the login prompt, and follow the on-screen instructions. The game should launch after logging in. If it doesn't, visit the Troubleshooting page. If you tried everything on the Troubleshooting page and it didn't help, come visit us in Naschat.
First Launch & Creating Your Character
Ignore the "Config" button on the title screen and go right into "Create Character". The Config button on the title screen will only configure the Title Screen.
Race & Sex
While race selection does impact your stats significantly, it does not make playing any job impossible
Hume: Humes are an all-around balanced race from Bastok.
Elvaan: Elvaans are more hardy than Humes, and stronger, hailing from San d'Oria.
Tarutaru: A magic wielding race residing in Windurst.
Mithra: Feline females also residing in Windurst.
Galka: Giant bulking men from Bastok.
Warriors are a beefy melee job that can wield many different types of weapons.
Monks use their fists and fist weapons to pound monsters into a pulp.
The quintessential healing job.
--This is a WIP--
1. Open your menu with - on the numpad
2. Press left/right arrow key to change to the other menu tab, then select Config
3. Gameplay: Sort: On
4. Chat filters do not work. You must use the Log settings instead
5. Windows: Shared: Horizontal. Window 1/2: Adjust Window Width to whatever you see fit
6. Misc: On-screen damage display: Both
7. Misc 2: Background Aspect Ratio: Likely 16:9. Set this to the Aspect Ratio you used for your window
8. Misc 3: Party Icon Display: On. Timer Display: On.
You can use 9 and 3 on the numpad for zooming in and out.
Make friends, explore, and have fun!